Forums

• The SBU-1 evolved as a two-seat dive bomber version of the XF3U-1, which competed for the Navy two-seat fighter purchase to ensure that Vought got a return on its fighter investment. This aircraft was proposed as a land biplane replacement for the SU series. It became the first aircraft of its type to exceed 200 mph. It also featured a controllable-pitch propeller and NACA cowl and a twin row radial R-1535 P&W twin Wasp-Junior engine.

As expected, politics caught up with the two-seat fighter program and the Navy dropped it. Although the XF3U-1 had been evaluated as a scout/ bomber, Vought decided to construct another airplane rather than modify the XF3U-1. This airplane utilized the engine and most of the equipment from the XF3U1. It completed its first tests in 1934, and a contract for 84 SBU-1's was awarded in January 1935.

The SBU-1 was the first airplane of its type to exceed 200 mph and it also featured a controllable-pitch propeller and a new NACA cowl. It was the first Vought airplane with a canopy to protect the cockpit occupants. It also had adjustable cowling gills on the cowl trailing edge to obtain better control of the cooling air flow over the engine cylinders. This feature permitted greater speeds and soon became standard for all air-cooled engines that incorporated a deep-chord cowl. The design team headed by Rex Beisel of Vought and A. L. McCain and F.M. Thomas of Pratt & Whitney were awarded the prestigious Manley and Wright awards.

In 1937 the Navy placed an order for forty additional SBU's. These were designated SBU-2 and featured the improved Pratt & Whitney R-1535-98 Wasp engine. The SBU's gradually replaced the SU series in service. However, the airplane never achieved the widespread usage of its predecessors. One reason was that the Navy began the transition to monoplanes in lieu of biplanes, as the SBU was becoming operational. The increased threat of war in Europe hastened the introduction of monoplanes with better performance and improved characteristics. As a result, most of the SBU's served in stateside training roles, and most were phased out of service in the early 1940's.

One two-place biplane was built for the Navy and first flight was in 1936. It was basically a SBU-2 with retractable landing gear. It was offered to the Navy at the same time as XSB2U-1 in case the monoplane was not bought by the Navy

Dimensions
    Wingspan
    33.25 ft
    Overall Length
    27.79 ft
    Height
    10.00 ft
    Weights and Capacities
    Empty Weight
    3753 lb
    Gross Weight
    5664 lb
    Useful Load

Fuel Capacity
    145 gal
    Oil Capacity
    10 gal
    Powerplant Characteristics
    Type: P & W SG-1535-64
    Rating
    700 hp
    Displacement
    1830 in3
    Weight
    Size (length X diameter)
    Performance

Maximum Speed, Sea Level
    180 mph
    Landing Speed, Sea Leavel
    65.00 mph
    Stall Speed, Sea Level

Initial Rate-of-Climb
    1315 ft/min
    Cruise Speed, Sea Level

Range at Cruise Speed
    850 miles
    Service Ceiling
    24000 ft
    Absolute Ceiling

Crew: 2

Armament: 1 fixed machine gun, fuselage (synchronized)
    1 flex machine gun in rear cockpit
    Provisions for bomb racks on lower wings

1belongingtotheFlyingChiefsinflight
    3BonthegroundatMarchField
    6Bontheground
    7inflight
    41inflightovertheAtlantic
    4USSRanger
    4USSRanger
    4USSRanger
    42onthegroundatNavalAirStationSanDiego
    42onthegroundatOakland
    4inflight
    3BatNavalAirStationNASNorthIsland
    2sinbackground
    2Binflight
    2BonthegroundatNavalAirStationNASCocoSoloCanalZone
    42flownbypilotLCDRRWOWoodsCOnearNorfolk
    41makingacarrierlanding
    1onthegroundatPensacola
    1ScoutbomberflagplanefrontLH
    1BUNO9815parkedonflightline
    1ScoutBomberLandplaneFrontLeft
    1BUNO9750parkedonflightline
    4onthegroundatNavalAirStationSanDiegowhenUSSRangerdepartedSanDiegofortheeas
    1sinflightoverNASSanDiego
    4USSRanger
    42inflightintheNorfolkarea
    3isENSEJMurphy
    4USSRangerinflightoverBattleFleetSouthernCalifornia
    42onthegroundatOakland
    42flyinginformationintheNorfolkarea
    3inflight
    2flyinginformationoverMrPalomarCA
    2inflightinVshapedformation
    2inflight
    2inflightoverSouthernCalifornia
    2ofSquadronThreeofNavalAirStationNASPensacolainflight
    2ofSquadronTwoonthegroundatNavalAirStationNASCorryField
    2ScoutBomberLandplaneRightSideontheground
    2BUNO0802parkedonflightline
    2BUNO0808inflight
    2BUNO0831parkedonflightline
    2sofSquadronTwoonthegroundatNavalAirStationNASCorryField
    1VoughtaircraftwhichisanupdatedSBUwithretractablegearpicturedsittingonflightlineshowingfrontleftview
    Vought SBU 2
    As usual right click and save as for details.
    Regards Duggy

• These are really sweet Duggy.
    Some of that geography looks a little familiar. Where were these taken? North Island? Coronado?

• Yes Chris, a lot are from the San Diego area.
    Photos 20/21 "The Flag Plane", what colours is it in ????????????????????

• Morning Duggy.
    Looking at the flag plane my first instinct would be red,however that's not the US Navy at that time.

I would say highly wax polished Navy Blue with white and black stencil numbering ,and natural white doped tail and rudder surfaces.

What say you Rudi?

Cheers,Christopher

• 2r3wlec

I'm with Chris about the dark Navy blue, as it seems to be the same grayscale or perhaps a bit darker than the blue stripe (inner) on the prop. Although the wing and tail surfaces appear to me to have a graphite quality about them, similar to the smoke box on a freshly painted American steam locomotive, so I'd say they were silver. Difficult to tell about the script though.. I'm initially thinking black and white, but the more I look, the dark could be the same Navy Blue on the fuselage, and the lighter NAVY script, could be yellow, as it does not appear as bright as the panel outline beneath the canopy rail.. which I'm guessing is either white or silver.

Moderator(s): Boelcke, Buhli, cheruskerarmin, Cpt_Farrel, Duggy, Graf, Gumpy, Hayate, HBPencil, HEERDT, Jarink, Jaypack44, Juri_JS, kristorf, mapal, MarcoPegase44, monguse, PatCartier, PIPS, RAF_Loke, Rudi_Jaeger, Tailhook, Tomi_099, US_Grant