Forums / RAF Library / Supermarine Spitfire Mk IV DP845 (Later Mk XX, and Mk XII) - Axis and Allies Paintworks
Forums
Axis and Allies Paintworks :: Forums :: Duggy's Reference Hangar :: RAF Library
Supermarine Spitfire Mk IV DP845 (Later Mk XX, and Mk XII) << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page  1 [2]
Moderators: Tailhook, Duggy, Buhli, cheruskerarmin, Cpt_Farrel, Graf, HEERDT, Jarink, Juri_JS, mapal, RAF_Loke, Rudi_Jaeger, US_Grant, HBPencil, monguse, Gumpy, Jaypack44, kristorf, Boelcke, PatCartier, Hayate
Author Post
PatCartier
Wed Apr 04 2018, 09:06AM

Registered Member #929

Welcome Guppy !
Guppy355
Mon Apr 09 2018, 11:16PM
Registered Member #6077

Thanks for the welcome Thought I'd nail down the visuals on DP845 through it's history. First off, not looking much at all like a Spit XII. Different spinner, full span, no gun wings, slotted flaps, rounded tail and early markings. This is her making her first appearance.

Guppy355
Mon Apr 09 2018, 11:18PM
Registered Member #6077

Next up is the mock up of the 6 cannon armament. Still basically the same as originally out of the hanger, although it now has a metal prop and the mock guns.

I corresponded for about a decade with Clive Gosling back in the 1980s. He talked about dropping in on Tangmere with this version and getting some amazed looks from the pilots there

Guppy355
Mon Apr 09 2018, 11:19PM
Registered Member #6077

Now more refined and I believe the prototype Spit XII designation. New paint, a Universal Wing, wide chord pointed rudder etc.

Guppy355
Mon Apr 09 2018, 11:21PM
Registered Member #6077

The images below show it's labeled the Spit XII. This is when it had the fixed tail wheel for a short time. My understanding from Clive Gosling, is it was only for a short while to test the difference in performance with the fixed vs retractable tail wheel

Guppy355
Mon Apr 09 2018, 11:33PM
Registered Member #6077

Finally some more from the October 43 sortie where Charles Brown and his camera did their thing. Clive Gosling piloting DP845
Back to retractable tail wheel, clipped wings now, Griffon VI of the Seafire XV and the larger spinner.

HBPencil
Wed Apr 11 2018, 06:23AM

Registered Member #45

Guppy355 wrote ...

Next up is the mock up of the 6 cannon armament. Still basically the same as originally out of the hanger, although it now has a metal prop and the mock guns.

I corresponded for about a decade with Clive Gosling back in the 1980s. He talked about dropping in on Tangmere with this version and getting some amazed looks from the pilots there

Cool! Something I always wondered about that 6 cannon mock-up is if they actually fitted 6 guns or just barrel shrouds? If the former it'd be interesting to know how they fitted all those cannon and their ammo into the wing!
Guppy355
Fri Apr 13 2018, 12:29PM
Registered Member #6077

The cannons were just wooden mock ups of the cannon shrouds. The wing is the same as it was when it was first flown, so they are just for show. No internal mounting of guns in that wing.
Go to page  1 [2]  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF