Forums

• Hi all,
    i usually don't take part in discussing all those technical things of aircraft or aircraft types. The reason for this is quite simple: i'm a very noob in both! A lot of aircraft discussed in these forums are simply unknown to me.
    So i mainly could just post comments like 'great pic' or something similar. Sorry.

Anyway here's a pic series i made a month ago at Stuttgart airport, where i took a flight in the one and only
    flyable Ju52 D-AQUI of Germany. I thought these pics might be of interest for some of you. It was an expensive gift from my family to my 50th birthday in july. The flight lasted about one hour and the route was a round trip over southwest germany.
    The pics were taken with a simple panasonic lumix TZ-25 pocket camera in automatic (idiot's) mode, as i'm a noob in photography too. Some of the pics are slightly edited with photoshop.

P1070424

First sight from the visitor's terrace.

P1070445

P1070448

Another old type exhibited on the visitor's terrace. I'm sure some of you guys know the type.

P1070429

The passengers of the flight before are welcomed by the crew.

P1070431

Isn't she tiny against those modern airliners...which tante ju was in the 1930s itself.

P1070454

Taxiing to the take off runway.

P1070460

P1070464
    P1070463edited

Waiting opposed to this one - who will be first to take off?

P1070465

P1070467

It was good alte tante ju - take off run!

P1070468edited

Though i knew the Ju52 needed a very short take off run i was really surprised when she took off, hurrily taken pic.

Two hours later, at 3h30 pm, it was my turn. My wife Sabine was more than skeptical - she doesn't like flying at all and no question in an aircraft which originates 77 years ago. So she was just watching from the visitor's terrace. Approaching the plane.

P1070470

P1070501

While refueling we were welcomed by the lufthansa crew which consisted of four, a pilot, co-pilot, technical
    officer and a stewardess. The captain is standing at the entrance door. The pilots are usually flying the airbus A320 and belonged to the 24 volunteers who are instructed to handle the Ju52.

P1070475

During refueling we were allowed to take some pics before the flight.

P1070486

P1070490

That's me amazed - to much time spent with skinning! Should have made more sports instead! That's what Sabine, who is a nurse, tells me every day.
    In fact it's a WWII veteran who really served as a bordfunker (radio operator) with a Ju52 unit.

P1070496

P1070498

The outside appearance is very much as in the 1930s - except the modern german flag which replaced the swastika inbetween cheesey . Of course there are many modifications inbetween, note i. e. the three bladed props - historically two blade props were used.

P1070484

P1070481
    P1070497
    P1070507

P1070480

Snapshot overhead.

P1070512

The interior is adapted to modern needs of security and comfort, nothing remained historically. We were 14 passengers, all aviation enthusiasts - and male - no seat left.
    I was sitting on the left viewing across the left wing.

P1070510

P1070511

P1070514

The technical officer's back in the small cockpit access door.

P1070526

Pratt & Whitney engines starting - what a sound! It may be noise for others, in my ears it was music!

P1070602

View towards the cockpit. The TO had left his place inbetween.

P1070535

P1070540

The plane was an attraction not for the passengers/visitors only but for the airport personell too.
    Many shots were made by them while taxiing to the runway. Props at full speed shades and taking off...
    the sound was most impressive.

P1070550
    P1070556

Taking inside shots from the cockpit was most uncomfortable - no space to unfold yourself, especially when you are a tall guy of 1,90 m like me. Anyway here are mine...
    P1070600
    P1070597
    P1070591
    P1070594
    P1070593
    P1070592
    P1070596
    P1070588

I'm sure you guys know all those instruments and what they are for.
    Temperature rised permanently in the cabin as there is no air condition.
    Inflight pics taken through the cabin windows. We flew above the city of Stuttgart, the Black Forest, the Suebian alb hills...

P1070571
    P1070583
    P1070580edited

The famous Hohenzollern castle at Hechingen - home of the descendants of the prussian-german Kaisers, the
    Hohenzollern family. The prussian flag was waving - the chief of Hohenzollern and next in line to be the Kaiser, Prince Georg Friedrich, was at home.

P1070585edited
    P1070587edited

Another sightseeing spot, the 'Bl?hendes Barock' (Blooming Baroque) at Ludwigsburg. It's a beautiful baroque style castle built by the Duke Eberhard of W?rttemberg. With a 'fairy tale garden' and it's blooming flower arrangements it's an attraction for many visitors.

P1070631
    P1070632

The fuel and oil displays of the left engine were close to me...

Taken through the opposite seat...

P1070650

P1070657

Over the Hauptbahnhof Stuttgart, the main railway station of Stuttgart.

P1070652

Back on the ground again. What a smooth touchdown, never expected this. The 'oldtimer' still in position while
    taxiing.

P1070676

P1070677

P1070678

Last pics of good old iron annie...

P1070687

P1070688

You surely might imagine it was a great experience and joy for me. My wife was happy i'm alive - the way it should be.

ATB
    Armin

• Great post, you " Lucky Bugger"
    This aircraft has a special place in my heart.
    I often drove past her on the ramp at Frankfurt , & then last year she flew over me here in Toronto.
    ATB Alan

• Great shots! smile The castle looks awesome too.

• Jeez Armin, after skinning her so many times it must have been quite an experience to fly aboard the real plane ...!!

I am sincerely very glad you managed to do so, it's a kind of "reward" after all the talent you devoted to pay her justice ...

Of course there are several modern instruments in the cockpit and above all the 3 bladed props look really strange (at least on the ground) but what an experience ....!!

I once was in London, having a beer outside a pub with my son, and while still conversing with him, I could hear a very special and unusual prop engine sound (I am very, very, sensitive to prop engine sounds) in the distance, and I knew at once this wasn't a "regular" modern prop engine AC, and suddenly I asked my son to silence and raise his head, and there she was, in her magnificient beauty ....!!

I'll never forget that moment ...

• I just had my 46th birthday last Monday and all I got were some socks!
    Still, it makes me happy to see a great guy like you get a chance to do something like this. It looks like you had tons of fun!

I'm showing this to my wife as an example of a "really good present" for next year's birthday.

• Poor Jim - but note it was my 50th!
    Anyway - a pair of socks - and the women always telling us we are lacking fantasy... biglaugh

ATB
    Armin

• Great shots. Years ago my grandfather got the same gift on his 75th birthday. He flew the Ju-52 during his time as a ferry pilot. Although he later became a fighter pilot, the Tante Ju always remained his favorite aircraft.

• Nice one Armin, that looks a good time! Nice shots too and I can't help but envy the Hohenzollern family for their nice house wink

• Oh Armin, I now know exactly know who you are..
    Hahaha!!!

• Excellent pics Armin and hard to think of a better present for an Iron Annie enthusiast like you. You do know that some years ago "Dr. Jones" produced a skin of D-AQUI using Imme's template. Perhaps not up to your standards but if you want to re-live the moment.....

Wingco.

Moderator(s): Boelcke, Buhli, cheruskerarmin, Cpt_Farrel, Duggy, Graf, Gumpy, Hayate, HBPencil, HEERDT, Jarink, Jaypack44, Juri_JS, kristorf, mapal, MarcoPegase44, monguse, PatCartier, PIPS, RAF_Loke, Rudi_Jaeger, Tailhook, Tomi_099, US_Grant