Forums

• All,

I wanted to post here because I think the nature of my comments exceeds the WIP section.

Recently, Rudi provided me with some very detailed feedback on a P-51 skin (the first I have attempted in a couple years).

In my business, we call this ?peer review?: detailed objective editorial comments. I am a University Professor. If I write an article I hope to publish, then colleagues will read it for me and give me detailed feedback as part of a revision process whose function is to raise the quality of the writing. ?Peer review? is a lot of work (A LOT OF WORK). And usually, peer review is something done for friends/colleagues. So, I was very pleasantly surprised to receive Rudi?s detailed remarks. While I am not part of Axis and Allies, I was made to feel I am.

Providing such detailed analysis (?Peer Review?)?like Rudi?s?says a good deal about the community and the mission at ?Axis & Allies Paintworks.? Obviously, he scrutinized my skin thoroughly, which takes time, work, patience. and also expertise. As a teacher, I appreciate good teaching. Rudi?s comments were thorough, detailed, explained clearly, and yet they were also very positive and supportive.

After two years, reacquiring my skills with Gimp has been going well, but what has come much slower is my self-editing skills. After studying something in detail for many hours, it is difficult to see it objectively. If I let the skin sit for a few weeks, which was my intention here, then I would regain some of the objectivity that I had lost. So, Rudi?s comments will very much shorten this process.

Hopefully, soon I will be able to start posting some skins again for people to download and enjoy, which I think is the whole point.

So, I want all of you guys to know that I appreciate what you do here.

Thanks Rudi.

Best,
    Lefty

• Well said! I also appreciate very much 'peer review'. I also learned alot of skinning techniques from this site in the short time I;ve been here.

• Thank you friends for your generous comments.

But in all modesty, in Lefty's case it could have been anyone of my mates who offered advice; I just happened to be the one minding the store at the time. Always nice to get a 'pat on the back' though, Thx! smile

Although I would like to say on behalf of everyone here at our hangar, that it's always a pleasure to assist in the preservation of history. Ultimately, I think that's what A&A is all about; we're just fortunate to have this wonderful sim as our platform, and people who are willing to dedicate their time to it.

So likewise, we thank you both for your interest and contributions to this effort. We hope you will enjoy your continued visits, and we look forward to seeing your projects.

All the best from the A&A Team! ~ Rudi

• Well said Rudi, and thanks for a wonderful comment Lefty.

You are certainly in intelligent company here, with a high proportion of military and service members along with academics and professionals in various disciplines.

Peer Review is understood and practiced with such a generosity of spirit at A&A. The key to their critical thinking approach is that these guys constantly research their subject and continue to glean new insights. Unlike most of the population, they never start from a conclusion and work backwards.

BTW-As a registered member, you ARE part of Axis and Allies and always welcome.

• Finally! Someone who 'gets it'! biglaugh

When most of us comment on a skin when someone asks for opinions, I think most, if not all of us here, would rather be frank and honest and not post the typical 'wow, gr8 job mate" for something that really isn't that good. Doing so does nothing but stroke that person's ego. For those that are truly interested in doing a good job on a skin or being a better skinner, critical and honest commentary is necessary.

When I started skinning, I actually wanted people to tear my skins apart and tell me what I was doing wrong or right. I knew they were pretty crappy, but even so I wanted to learn. Then people would post how great it looked, good job, etc. and I would literally tear my hair out. I KNEW BETTER! Honest peer review is one of the the best ways of improving your skills.

• Finally! Someone who 'gets it'! biglaugh

When most of us comment on a skin when someone asks for opinions, I think most, if not all of us here, would rather be frank and honest and not post the typical 'wow, gr8 job mate" for something that really isn't that good. Doing so does nothing but stroke that person's ego. For those that are truly interested in doing a good job on a skin or being a better skinner, critical and honest commentary is necessary.

When I started skinning, I actually wanted people to tear my skins apart and tell me what I was doing wrong or right. I knew they were pretty crappy, but even so I wanted to learn. Then people would post how great it looked, good job, etc. and I would literally tear my hair out. I KNEW BETTER! Honest peer review is one of the the best ways of improving your skills.

Jarink

^This. I can't tell you how many times I've posted something, and specifically asked for some "constructive" feedback, and all I get is "looks good!" and the like- but when someone actually does point something out, it's like a breath of fresh air. I really hope that that's the kind of environment we'll foster here! (and kudos to all of you who post such criticisms already! wink )

Moderator(s): Boelcke, Buhli, cheruskerarmin, Cpt_Farrel, Duggy, Graf, Gumpy, Hayate, HBPencil, HEERDT, Jarink, Jaypack44, Juri_JS, kristorf, mapal, MarcoPegase44, monguse, PatCartier, PIPS, RAF_Loke, Rudi_Jaeger, Tailhook, Tomi_099, US_Grant