Forums

• You did a fine job so far, as casey said, especially the canopy bar is looking very well with it's 3d effect. I wish i could create such a template myself.

ATB
    Armin

• Thanks guys, your kind words are much appreciated! smile

I haven't had the time to work on the mech/internals as I wished to however I spent this evening mucking around with the colours on the skin. I had hoped to have something to show you this evening however I should be able to in the next few days *touch wood*.

@Ice: thanks for the insight on the new P-40 model issue and I must admit I find your "probably several other P-40 Warhawk variants that we didn't have" comment very interesting! It'd certainly be nice to more P-40 variants in the stock game.

@Casey: Cheers, and although I haven't released a template before I would seriously consider doing so at some point. I'd probably have to clean it up a bit though as it has a gazillion unnamed layers and is a bit of mess!

HB

Edit: @Armin, I'm sure such a talented skinner such as yourself could easily build a template. With your eye for, and attention to, detail they'd be totally kick-ass!

• Looking very good HB! Like RJ pointed out, the canopy bar shades look great...it's a nice touch, since we currently aren't able to have dynamic lighting / shading in IL2 '46. You've noticed that a lot of us use simulated 3D effects on our templates...but I don't think any of us considered adding that effect. Kudos for being original! I'll be very interested to see your skins when it's completed. Ultimately, I hope you'll consider making your template public.

I'm not sure if the discussion about TD should be brought up again...however, I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth. I see TD as an 'officially sanctioned' mod team by Oleg...they really aren't doing anything that modders like Claymore, Japancat or Anto haven't already done for various aircraft. I personally get annoyed when a new 3D model is released for a 'classic' IL2 aircraft, and others that are in dire need of a reworking (THE P-38...ALL MODELS) get passed over.

With that being said, I'm on the fence about the P40 remodel. While I don't look forward to re-building the template, I am excited to see the errors from the past corrected. The best solution I see is for TD to release the template used to create the default skins, so that skinners can begin supporting the new version within 48 hours of the 4.12 patch release. As a skinner, this is what I'd want to see happen...

Again, just my thinking on the matter.

@ Ice - Would you happen to be IceFire from M4T? If so...your Tempest campaign is still one of my favorites of all time.

Cheers,

KC

casey1976
    Hi Casey,

Not sure what TD discussions have gone on in the past so I'll let sleeping dogs lie as it were smile But I did want to add that there are many in the MOD community who are also contributors for Team Daidalos and a lot of their early work goes towards stuff that's already been released. More stuff to come and I think some things that are on peoples wish lists will hopefully show up either sooner or later... it's just a matter of it all being volunteer and its up to peoples interests and time. Another example of that would be the B-24 project... it's a true labour of love with several years worth of research, going to see restored examples and taking photos, the works. A couple of guys are doing that for a long time but it's paying off and they are showing off some of the really exciting progress on that project. I can't wait personally!

I'll pass along the comment for templates to be released quickly. I have no idea whats possible but I'll pass it along! smile

And yes I used to go by IceFire and I've since simplified it down to Ice in most places. Storm Clouds 2.0 is my baby... many hours went into that and I'm really glad you liked it! smile

• Thanks guys, your kind words are much appreciated! smile

I haven't had the time to work on the mech/internals as I wished to however I spent this evening mucking around with the colours on the skin. I had hoped to have something to show you this evening however I should be able to in the next few days *touch wood*.

@Ice: thanks for the insight on the new P-40 model issue and I must admit I find your "probably several other P-40 Warhawk variants that we didn't have" comment very interesting! It'd certainly be nice to more P-40 variants in the stock game.

@Casey: Cheers, and although I haven't released a template before I would seriously consider doing so at some point. I'd probably have to clean it up a bit though as it has a gazillion unnamed layers and is a bit of mess!

HB

Edit: @Armin, I'm sure such a talented skinner such as yourself could easily build a template. With your eye for, and attention to, detail they'd be totally kick-ass!

HBPencil
    I can't say for sure at all, but I can say that the guy working on the P-40 model is a true enthusiast of the aircraft and I'm sure there is room for variations that could go beyond just the E and M. The TD guys have already confirmed that a more complete loadout for the aircraft will be there... I think even bazooka tube rocket launchers for the P-40s that used those were mentioned. Also the Russians had some wacky combinations for bomb loadouts on theirs. Maybe! I think good things will ultimately come from this.

• Often times during WW2 If someone invented,attached, or built something for weapon platforms, often times the CO would say Go ahead and try it. A lot of this experimentation happened in the Pacific Theatre.

• Hey Mick, the reason we are all grumbling is having to start re working something that isn't that broken.
    We'll get over the whining. By the way you can express yourself any way you want .

• Hi guys,
    Here's an update of where the template is at. As you can see I've changed it to the darker OD adopted in '43 as well as the Medium Green splotching. The thing is I find that the colour references of MG give a very vibrant green (especially in-game) so I've toned it down to something that won't burn your retinas out! I've also be grappling with the distortion of the star'n'bars on the fuselage, to which I feel I've found a reasonable comprimise.
    As the the underside of the wings are mirrored this means that the national markings appear under both wings which is a problem for US aircraft, so do you guys have preference for whether you like to have them under both wings or just not at all?
    I've reworked most of the internals although have left some from the original void file. Although most of what I did wasn't really much of an improvement I did do a lot of work on the three parts that I felt were most important; the radiator and the wheel and tyre.

P40N 4a Zpsfddc0b06
    P40N 4b Zps7a3ae8b1
    P40N 4c Zps24c64a15
    P40N 4d Zps5b9a3810

HB

• Here's my first fully marked skin for this kite: "Lulu Belle" flown by Lt Philip S. Adair, 89th FS/80th FG, India.

P40N 5 Zpsd3b341c7

HB

• Here's another skin, the well known "Geronimo!" of 1Lt Bruce Campbell, 45th FS 15th FG on Makin Island:

P40N 6

In other P-40 news, I don't know if you guys already read this in the 4.12 discussion thread over at SAS but apparently the other variants (other than the stock E and M) being worked on are the F-20, K-15 and N-15 although they're w.i.p so may not make 4.12. Nevertheless it'd be great to see them in the game... although I'd love to see the short tailed K-1 or K-5 in game, they saw lots of service and there's plenty of skinning opportunities for them shades

HB

• Hey these works are looking great to me - although i'm a big fan of more (heavy) weathering, better visible lines and rivets and maybe more overall sharpness. I know in reality these details are oftenly barely visible but in the game the details are making a skin more interesting. But this of course is well a matter of taste too, overall i like these works!

ATB
    Armin

Moderator(s): Boelcke, Buhli, cheruskerarmin, Cpt_Farrel, Duggy, Graf, Gumpy, Hayate, HBPencil, HEERDT, Jarink, Jaypack44, Juri_JS, kristorf, mapal, MarcoPegase44, monguse, PatCartier, PIPS, RAF_Loke, Rudi_Jaeger, Tailhook, Tomi_099, US_Grant